Controlling Their Own Destiny Remains Top Motivator for Future Business Owners
August 30, 2023 – Aspiring business owners are leaving worries about the pandemic behind, and most see business conditions the same or better in the next three months. This is despite the arrival of higher interest rates and tighter credit, as more entrepreneurs expected loans to play a lesser role in their startups with personal sources taking the lead.
As we’ve seen in four years of surveying small business startup sentiment, control over one’s destiny continues to propel entrepreneurs towards owning their own business in America.
Consistent with our large sample of interested franchise buyers over the past four years, “being one’s own boss” remains the primary motivator cited by entrepreneurs researching franchise ownership across the FranchiseVentures network of online franchise lead generation brands.
- “Be my own boss” was the most selected response when asked “Why do you want to own your own business?”, with 85.1% of the respondents in July 2023, decreasing a bit from the record high of 89.1% in Q4 2021.
- The survey allowed for multiple responses, and many entrepreneurs also selected “Income Potential” as an additional reason – it ranks a strong No. 2, with 662.4% of the responses in July 2023.
- “Lifestyle Rewards” is the third most common motivation, cited by 48.9% of respondents. This driver includes the benefits of working from home, setting flexible hours or running a seasonal business. The pandemic gave individuals a taste of greater work flexibility, and they now seek opportunities with the confidence that remote work can be productive and help to achieve better work-life balance.
- “Side Business to Supplement Income” suggests shared or part-time ownership or a less-risky path to start a new business while retaining other income streams. This ranked fourth among drivers, cited by 44.9% of respondents,
- Finally, “Tired of Climbing the Corporate Ladder” was fifth, cited by 30.7% of the respondents, affirming that many aspiring small-business and franchise owners bring a depth of professional experience to their new ventures. In our July 2023 survey of aspiring business owners, 49.1% were leaving full-time jobs
Many of these individuals already have experience with business ownership. In the same Small Business Sentiment survey, just under 15% of respondents were current business owners.
The fundamental drivers for business ownership have not changed despite the Covid pandemic which was certainly the most significant societal and economic disruption since the Great Depression. The benefits of business ownership, including the control of one’s destiny and the perceived returns from the hard work of building a business are worth the risks, and for many, the pandemic became the impetus for taking the first steps.
FranchiseVentures is the leading demand– and lead-generation platform for potential franchisees to thousands of growing franchise systems in the United States and Canada. Its franchise lead generation brands include Franchise.com, Franchise Solutions, Franchise Gator, Franchise Opportunities, Franchise For Sale, SmallBusinessStartup.com and BusinessBroker.net, and together they provide the largest aggregation of prospective franchise buyers in the U.S.
Interested in more insights from our proprietary data set? Subscribe to our email newsletter below, or follow us on LinkedIn.
Published on Wednesday, August 30th, 2023.